The faster the chain rotates, the quicker it cuts through wood. Chainsaws do have an unusual distinction: as the guide bar cannot be covered, these tools are considered the most dangerous of the power tools ever made.
Will You Need To Have A Chainsaw?
Chainsaws are useful when used in the correct application. If a homeowner has little in the way of trees to cut on a property, or the trees are small hedges, a large chainsaw is too powerful for this kind of work. Buying one of the top rated cordless chainsaws for home use from a reputable brand is an ideal solution in this instance.
However, if you are cutting trees for firewood seasonally or have large trees around your home that may become dangerous if left untouched, the best chainsaw for cutting firewood would be a gas-powered chainsaw and is a good addition to your tool shed. A great tool shed can store all your tools, mowers and handy man gear, keeping them dry and in good condition.
Top Five Cordless Chainsaws
With a better idea on what chainsaws are and what they can do, here is our list of the top five best battery operated chainsaws for home use:
1) Black & Decker LCS1240This Black & Decker LCS1240 cordless chainsaw is one of the top rated cordless chainsaws for home use. This model is rated at 40 Volts and uses Lithium Ion battery power. It has enough power to cut through dry wood and live logs and features a 12-inch bar and chain.
Includes Tool Free Tensioning, No Manual Oiling Needed
There is the added bonus of tool-free chain tensioning which allows for fast, efficient cutting in and around your yard or property. There’s no need to oil manually which eliminates having to constantly keep the chain and bar lubricated. This also reduces the mess associated with such maintenance chores.
Full Wrap Around Handle For Ease Of Use
There is a full wrap around handle which the manufacturer states will reduce fatigue when using this product and allow for various cutting angles. This packages comes complete with the chainsaw, RC100 chain, a 40V Max Li-ion battery and a battery charger.
This chainsaw is quiet, lightweight and easy to use for most light duty jobs.
- Weighs 10.4 lbs
- Includes 40V MAX Lithium Ion battery holds charge for up to 18 months
- Includes battery charge indicator
- Good sized 12″ Oregon bar and chain
- Equipped with automatic oiling system- no manual oiling necessary
- Cuts 60 pieces of 4×4 sized pine lumber with an average single charge
- Cordless performance gives portability, convenience and maneuverability
- Simple to use tool-free blade tension system
- A number of users find the battery ran down faster than expected
- Extra battery is very expensive
- Some users are not impressed by its cutting power
2) Black & Decker LCS1020This Black & Decker LCS1020 model comes with a 10-inch Low-Kickback Oregon Bar and chain which is designed to be heavy duty as well as easy to use.
20 Volt Lithium Ion Battery Holds Charge For Up To 12 Months
The 20V MAX 2.0aH Lithium ion battery produces enough power to cut through dry wood, live logs and most other light duty chores. The battery is also said to provide longer operation time and stay charged up to five times longer than most similar batteries.
Tool Free Tensioning Stops The Need For Manual Tensioning
With tool-free tensioning there is no need to manually correct tension for the best lithium battery chainsaw which allows for faster and more accurate cutting.
The Bonus Of An Auto Oil System For The Chain
Plus, there is no need to manually oil the chain and bar to keep them lubricated reducing down time and the mess of oiling because the LCS1020 has an onboard automatic oiling system complete with a primer button. There’s also a window so you can see the oil level.
The lightweight design reduces overall fatigue and makes this chainsaw easy to store, transport and use when needed.
- Lightweight Design weighing in at 7.2 lbs
- 20V Max Lithium Ion Battery – holds a charge up to a full year
- Starts with the flick of a switch- no pull cords involved
- Power performance stay steady during work
- Tool-Free Chain Blade Tension System
- No air filter replacements or carburetor to worry about
- Auto-Oiling System, no messy bar oil to deal with
- 10-inch Cut Capacity can handle a wide range of jobs around your home
- A number of users complained about the chain oiler malfunctioning
- Battery does not last too long to get the job done
- The chain sometimes gets stuck of falls off
3) GreenWorks 20312 G-MAXUsing Lithium-ion battery technology, the 20312 G-MAX has up to 30-percent more torque, 80-percent longer life and 70-percent less vibration than gas-powered chainsaws. This is one of the best lithium battery chainsaws out in the market.
Large 16″ Bar Makes Short Work Of Larger Jobs
Complete with a 16-inch Oregon bar and chain, .0375 chain pitch, safety chain brake, and bucking spikes made of metal, this is one of the best battery powered chainsaws that performs like a gas-powered model without the noise of one.
Powerful, Lightweight Chainsaw
Plus, with an automatic oiling system onboard, you will never have to manually add oil to lubricate the bar and chain. GreenWorks has added the 20312 DigiPro Chainsaw to their line of G-MAX products, which now numbers over 14 different lawn tools.
With such a powerful battery system and lightweight design, this tool is one you may really want to have as part of your collection.
- Weighs only 6.9 lbs
- G-MAX 40V lithium battery packed with 30% more torque than other models
- DigiPro brushless motor technology delivers cuts up to 150 cuts on one single charge
- 70% less vibration with a brushless motor reduces physical wear and tear on your body
- Relatively quiet during operation
- Light weight and easy to use in comparison to a gas chainsaw
- 16″ bar and chain
- Includes 4AH battery and charger
- Some users complained about oil leaking
- Battery didn’t last long as advertised
- Others find the chain constantly coming off
4) EGO Power 14-Inch ChainsawHere’s EGO Power 14 inch chainsaw, one of the best cordless electric chainsaws that comes with a 14-inch bar and chain, and has a brushless motor which makes it quiet, efficient and a constant source of power.
Powerful 56 Volt Battery Packs A Punch
The power source is a strong 56-volt ARC Lithium-ion battery which delivers long lasting and long running battery power and life. There is also a charging unit included in the package.
Water Resistant Construction Plus Low Kickback
The chainsaw itself is designed with water resistant construction and a low kickback chain feature. The .043-inch gauge chain has a 3/8-inch low pro pitch and includes a chain brake, onboard chain tension adjustment and a reversible bar.
5 Year Warranty
EGO Power also backs this product up with a 5-year tool warranty and a 3-year battery warranty. If you are looking for quiet, powerful battery-powered cordless chainsaws for sale, this is a good choice.
- Weighs 11.4 lbs
- 2.0Ah and 2.5Ah 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery Kits Available
- Standard Charger Included in Kits
- Water Resistant Construction gives you the option of working in any weather conditions
- Low Kickback Chain Design for extra safety (complies with ANSIB175.1)
- .043 in. Gauge Chain with 3/8 in. Low Pro Pitch
- Reversible Bar
- Chain Kickback Brake
- Chain Tension Adjustment
- 5 Year Tool Warranty and 3 Year Battery Warranty (Kits Only)
- Chain oil leaks even when the unit is stored
- The battery did not last as long as advertised
- Trigger turns on/off during use.
5) Makita XCU02PT Lithium-Ion Cordless Chain Saw KitOkay, we saved probably the best cordless electric chainsaw for last here, the Makita XCU02PT. You may want to sit down and fasten your seatbelt when we go over the details on this cordless chainsaw.
One Of The Most Powerful Models Available Backed By A Long History
First off, Makita is a brand name with a rich history when it comes to power tools. Where things really go off the chart is the power source for this particular model. This 18V X2 LXT Chainsaw is powered by not one, but two LXT 18V 5.0Ah Lithium-ion batteries which produce a total of 36 volts of powerful performance and run time.
1,650 FPM Plus A 12″ Bar Gives You A Top Notch Machine
Makita says this makes it as powerful as many electric and gas-powered chainsaws. Add to this a 12-inch bar and a Makita motor that delivers 1,650 FPM and you know you’ve got a strong cutter on your hands.
No Oil, No Emissions, Low Maintenance
There’s also less noise, no emissions and low maintenance pushing this model further and further in the spotlight. With no oil to change or spark plugs to check and replace or filters and mufflers to clean you have less down time and much more cutting time. No wonder this chainsaw always gets great feedback from cordless electric chainsaw reviews.
Dual Port Charger Weighs
This package comes complete with a dual port charger so you can always have both batteries ready when you are. There is no doubt this is the most powerful cordless chainsaw.
- Weighs 12.3 lbs
- 2 18V LXT Lithium-Ion batteries for maximum power cuts
- Very fast charge times
- Cordless for reduced maintenance
- Very low noise output at 60 decibels
- Features Extreme Protection Technology (XPT),designed and engineered for increased dust and water resistance
- Rubberized soft grip top handle for convenient cutting and reduce hand fatigue
- Instant start-up with the flick of a switch
- Electric brake for maximum productivity
- The chain loosens off easily and needs to be readjusted and tightened regularly
- Other users are not impressed with the quality of the plastic tension adjuster and oil tank.
- Some users find the cutting power a bit low.
Buying Your First Batter Powered Chainsaw
Here’s where you need to determine exactly the right kind of cordless chainsaws for sale you need before you start looking at the choices available. To properly cut branches or a tree, you need a guide bar that is at least two inches longer that the item you intend to cut. The smallest battery operated tree trimmer chainsaws currently in the market have guide bars measuring between 12-inches and 18-inches in length.
Most powerful cordless chainsaws, especially the top rated electric chainsaws fall into this range. Gas-powered cordless chainsaws are a completely different matter. These models come with guide bars between 12-inches and 20-inches.
Assuming you will be cutting large trees and branches, and mostly hardwood, you will need a gas-powered model. For all other jobs a cordless, electric or battery powered tree saw would be just fine. If you would like to use a table saw to cut wood, you can also use these benchtop table saws which can capably handle a wide range of jobs.
Advantages Of A Cordless ChainsawSimply due to the difference in power when comparing a cordless to a gas-powered chainsaw you will be able to do more small jobs around your home and property.
While all those top rated electric chainsaws are effective in cutting small to medium sized branches and trees, for larger jobs, including bucking firewood, a gas-powered model would work best. However, using a small battery powered chainsaw has several other advantages….
They are less noisy than electric or gas-powered models and they do not emit exhaust fumes according to cordless electric chainsaw reviews. You can use a small battery powered chainsaw indoors as a result if you have a need. They do not require the level of maintenance of a gas-powered model including winterizing.
Plus, cordless chainsaws are easy to store as they take up little room and all you would require as extra equipment would be spare batteries and a charging unit.
Sourcing The Best Battery Operated Chainsaw For Home Use – What To Look For
There are four basic items used to measure the difference between chainsaws. They include guide bar length, engine power type, safety features and your personal level of fitness and strength.
1) Guide Bar
The guide bar measurement indicates the length of where the chain enters the unit housing all the way to the tip of the bar. It indicates the cutting width of a single pass with the chainsaw and varies greatly with models designed for specific cutting jobs. For example, cordless and electric chainsaw bars are usually shorter than gas-powered models.
It is also very important to remember that bigger is not always better, either. That’s because the longer the bar width, the more weight is added to the chainsaw. Based on battery powered chainsaws reviews, a heavier chainsaw is more difficult to control.
2) Engine Power Type of The Best Battery Operated Chainsaw For Home Use
The measurement used to describe engine size is cubic centimeters (CCs) or cubic inches (cu. in.) and this is the only way gas-powered chainsaw engines are measured. Cordless and electric chainsaws are measured by their voltage (V) with battery-powered chainsaws using either lithium-ion (Li-ion) or nickel-cadmium (NiCad) batteries as their power source.
Older cordless models will usually be of the NiCad variety. When looking at best battery powered chainsaw models keep in mind that NiCad batteries take longer to charge and may not be as powerful as Li-ion counterparts.
When looking at the voltage rating of cordless chainsaws the higher the number, the more powerful the engine. As with guide bar size, a more powerful engine adds more weight to the overall chainsaw which is an important factor to keep in mind.
3) Safety FeaturesAutomatic shutoffs, on-board oil triggers and assorted other do-dad’s may be nice to make cutting easier but what you really need with a cordless chainsaw is an anti-kickback chain (more on kickback in a moment). The other safety items you will need are things you will be required to wear and use when operating your chainsaw to keep yourself safe when doing so.
These extra items should include safety glasses or goggles, gloves, head protection, hearing protection, cut resistant boots, safety pants or chaps. Even though cordless chainsaws are the less powerful of all chainsaws manufactured, you still need to be protected when using one to prevent injury.
4) Your Personal Level of Fitness and Strength
Regardless of how fit you may be, handling a chainsaw, like a battery operated tree trimmer for example, for any length of time will be tiring. The vibration created alone will wear on your hands, arms, legs and everything in-between. The heavier the chainsaw, the faster you will be worn out.
With cordless chainsaws, they will still eventually feel heavier, faster and harder to control. When your arms and hands get tired, controlling one will become even more difficult and must be considered when looking to purchase a chainsaw. Proper handling and balance will be required with each and every cutting chore in order to avoid injury.
While you can take frequent breaks when cutting, this will also lengthen how long it will take to finish any chore even with the best chainsaw for cutting firewood.
More On Kickback
There are two ways in which kickback can happen. Because the chain is moving around the guide bar, if the tip of the bar comes in contact with a branch, tree or ground, it will ‘kick’ the battery powered tree saw away from that object.
Another way kickback can occur is when wood being cut starts to pinch down on the guide bar. When this happens, a fast reversal of the chain will kick the bar out and in your direction. Kickback risk can be reduced by being careful not to make contact with the bar tip, by cutting only one piece of wood at a time and by keeping the saw at full power when cutting.
Kickback is dangerous with all chainsaws and although cordless models have less overall power than electric or gas-powered chainsaws, you still need to be aware of the possibility of this happening during cutting.
A Few Last Things About Cordless Chainsaws
Battery-powered chainsaws may be the safest of the types of chainsaws manufactured simply because they generally do not produce the amount of power as gas models. However, they are still dangerous because the chain and guide bar cannot be covered making these cutting tools unsafe to work with without proper safety precautions and the wearing of protective gear.
But there are a lot of pluses associated with cordless technology when compared to gas-powered chainsaws. There is less noise, no exhaust emissions and much less maintenance. Cordless chainsaws are very lightweight and portable than gas models and can be stored away for the winter without the need for winterizing.Battery-powered cordless chainsaws also use a ‘green technology’ with the use of rechargeable batteries. The switch from NiCad to Li-ion batteries has turned cordless chainsaws into a reasonable choice for a homeowner thanks to the added power and battery life that comes from Li-ion batteries. If you are seriously concerned about what a chainsaw may do to the environment – noise or emissions – then a cordless model is easily more environmentally friendly.
Essentially, cordless chainsaws are simply easy to store and easy to use. That is, if you are using one for jobs that it can handle. If your cutting chores demand a larger and more powerful chainsaw, you may need to add a gas-powered one to your supply when work demands something other than a cordless model.
One example is bucking firewood. You would be further ahead using a gas model for this chore although the stronger battery powered cordless chainsaws can do some of the heavy work, but not all of it.
When you are shopping for best chainsaw for the money, be certain to compare power, weight and ease of operation as part of your homework. Added factors to consider should include length of warranty, whether or not replacement parts are available and the ease in which they can be accessed.
This website has been designed to give you battery powered chainsaws reviews with all the necessary information you would require if you had never seen a cordless chainsaw before and was considering purchasing one for home use. We want to provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision on the type of chainsaw to purchase and which cordless ones are the best chainsaws for the money.
We hope to be able to assist you in any way we can in finding the best battery operated chainsaw for home use for your needs. How can we help you today?