What Can You Cut?
You can comfortable tackle, prune and cut small, medium to large branches. These electric saw for cutting trees will cut a range of log sizes. They work wonders with pruning, especially on roses and thicker woody creepers… create sculptures, and useful for building if you don’t own a dropsaw, although accuracy is compromised.
How Do Best Corded Electric Chainsaws Actually Work?
In a nutshell, these tools use a power head (the engine) to pull a chain around a guide bar that has a groove to hold the chain. A centrifugal clutch controls the speed in which the chain is pulled around the guide bar. The chain has cutting teeth mounted along it and when the power head speeds up the movement of the chain, it creates a cutting edge that slices through wood like a hot knife through butter.
The moving chain cannot be covered so a chainsaw is considered the most dangerous hand held power tool ever created. We have included 2 of top rated electric chainsaw with batteries as well. If you are looking at buying battery operated chainsaws for home use, we have reviewed some of the longest lasting models available.
Do You Need An Electric Chainsaw?
The average home owner may encounter occasions where a chainsaw will come in handy in yard clean up chores. If you find yourself in need of one on a seasonal basis, an electric chainsaw, choose the best chainsaw for home use which will be suitable for your needs. If you are going to be cutting firewood each year and go out in the woods to do this, based on best electric chainsaw reviews, you will need a more powerful chainsaw. In other words, you would have better luck bucking firewood with a gas-powered chainsaw.
Buying Your First Chainsaw
It may be tempting to buy cheap electric chainsaws for sale. DON”T! These are a dangerous power tool. You will need to take a close look at why you would need one and pick one that fits those needs. The smallest electric chainsaws for sale you will be able to purchase will come with a guide bar of between 12-inches and 18-inches. Depending on the size of trees or branches you intend to cut, an electric model with a 12-inch guide bar may be all you will need. If you are cutting hardwood trees, you will need to move up to a gas-powered model.
Advantages Of An Electric Chainsaw
There are advantages to using best electric chainsaw for home use for DIYers compared to a gas-powered one. For example, if you only need to use one a few times a year (spring and fall, for example) than you really do not need to get anything bigger than an electric model. The electric models are low maintenance and can be stored easily anywhere without the need for winterizing. The best electric chainsaws for the money are quieter to operate and do not produce exhaust emissions.
Our Choice Of The Top 6 DIY Best Corded Electric Chainsaws
Now that you have a better idea of what a chainsaw is and what one can do, here is our list of the top rated electric chainsaws:
1) WORX WG303.1 16″ Bar Handles A Wide Range Of Jobs For The DIY ExpertThe WORX WG303.1 has a 16-inch guide bar and is rated at 3.5 HP/14.5 Amps. The chainsaw features a tools-free chain replacement and a system that provides auto-tensioning. This keeps the chain securely in place and is activated by one large knob.
Gas Free Along With An On Board Auto Oiler…
In addition to being gas-free, the chainsaw is easy to lubricate and has an on-board automatic oiler with a 6.75 ounce oil reservoir. There’s also a low oil indicator.
Built in Safety Features Are Important…
Where the WORX best electric chainsaw for home use excels is that it has a built-in safety chain brake which will bring the chain to a stop seconds after a bad contact occurs which eliminates kickback. For comfort, there is a rear handle with a rubber grip and a full wrap front handle to allow for control and stability. It’s really a great electric chainsaw and certainly one of the most powerful electric chainsaws!
- 14.5 AMP motor power that delivers cutting performance like that of gas chainsaws
- Prevents the chain from over-tightening with WORX’ trademark Auto-tension chain system
- With built-in chain brake for extra safety
- Automatic oil lubrication with level indicator
- Comes with 3-year warranty
- No replacement parts available after the 3 year warranty
- The built-in brake system is too sensitive
- A number of users find the chain loosens often
2) Remington RM1425’s 14″ Bar Is The Best Machine For Smaller TasksThe Remington RM1425 is a bit surprising to be produced by a razor manufacturer. What’s a razor manufacturer got to do with chainsaws? Well, let’s look at this a little closer. Electric razors and electric chainsaws. Both cut and remove unwanted stubble…
This Is The Best Small Chainsaw On The Market With A 14 Inch Bar Which Capably Slices Through Smaller Branches…
Okay, that’s a bit of a reach however, The RM1425 is designed for a specific job. It will cut small limbs and saplings with ease with a 14-inch guide bar. The design has a low-kickback feature and includes a push button oiler to keep your chain lubed up without having to stop.
The chain is automatically tensioned with an on-board adjustment system, and is easy to start and simple to operate. This model is backed by a two year limited warranty and is worth adding to your collection of power tools.
- Compact and lightweight perfect for limb trimming
- 14″ low-kickback bar and chain for safety
- Powerful 8 Amp electric motor
- Adjustable chain tension feature for convenient trimming
- Delivered to your home fully assembled
- A number of users find the chain frequently comes loose
- Some users complained of leaking chain oil
- Not a sturdy chainsaw based on reading the best electric chainsaw reviews of this model
3) Oregon CS1500 Self-Sharpening Electric Chain Saw With 18″ Of Bar Length
The Oregon CS1500 is one of the more popular electric chain saws and definitely one of the best chainsaws for home use for the home handyman who wants to be self-sufficient.
18″ Bar Cuts 12-17″ Sized Logs…
The 18 inch bar is ideal for fast cutting with a high-powered motor of 15 Amps. This length of bar is ideal for tackling pretty much any job on your property. You can easily cut quite large size logs up to 12-17″ (depending on softness of wood) in diameter for your wood heater which will save you a lot of money over the winter months. This is definitely one of the best electric chainsaws for cutting logs with great feedback from corded electric chainsaw reviews .
PowerSharp Sharpening System Sharpens Chain In 5 Seconds…
One of the best things about the PowerSharp Sharpening System is there is no time fiddling around trying to accurately sharpen dull teeth on the chain. This is a job that can be incredibly frustrating if you don’t get the angle right on gas powered chainsaws. The PowerSharp System gets you back on the job within 5 seconds with a sharp chain.
Toolless Chain Tension Feature…
As you know over time and wear and tear, the chain can become loose. Oregon, a manufacturer who makes the best chainsaws for performance, value for money and durability, gives you the convenience of turning the red adjustment knob to tension the chain as you need.
- 15 AMP motor power that delivers cutting performance like that of gas chainsaws
- 18″ Bar tackles the majority of jobs around your property
- 5 Second Self sharpening chain feature with PowerSharp Sharpening System
- Automatic oil lubrication with level indicator
- Cut large size logs up to 12-17″” in diameter
- The Oregon is heavier than some other models
- The sharpener works a little too well, can wear away chain too quickly
- The chain must be kept lubed, otherwise overheating can cause plastic components to melt according to corded electric chainsaw reviews
4) 16″ Of Pure Performance In The Makita UC4051A Electric Chain SawMakita make the widest range of power tools in the world for the DIYer from electric drills, saws, power assisted wheelbarrows, rotary hammers, top rated electric chainsaws and a whole lot more ….
The Makita UC4051A is a more expensive model than most we have featured. As we know if you want quality then you do need to be prepared to pay a little bit more and reap the benefits over the years to come….
16″ Of Pure Power Cuts Through Logs Up To 18″ In Size….
This is a saw featuring a 16 inch bar for fast cutting and easy efficient operation. 16 inches of pure power will effortlessly power through logs up to 18 inches in size depending on how soft the wood is. This is a good all-round saw that you can depend on for performance when you need it. The difference between buying a quality brand-name product and are cheaper product can make all the difference between a satisfying outcome, or a frustrating one!
Chain Speed Of 2,900 FPM Plus Auto Oiling…
The chain has a chain speed of 2, 900 FPM and a large oil reservoir continually keeps the chain lubricated during continuous and heavy work. In case you are worried about oil levels dropping, you can always check the oil through the viewing window.
Toolless Adjustment At Your Finger tips- No Missing Tools To Look For….
As with the other models, blade and chain adjustments are toolless which is extremely convenient. You don’t need to chase up tools that seem to have magically vanished at the most inconvenient times.
Rubberized Handle PreventsVibration On Hands….
In case were worried about the vibration aspect on your hands, the grip as a rubberised finish which is ergonomically designed to reduce vibration for increased comfort levels during continuous operation.
- Fast chain speed of 2,900 FPM for efficient performance
- 16″ Bar tackles the majority of jobs around your property
- Tool less blade and chain adjustment features
- Automatic chain oiler keeps chain lubricated for heavy continuous cutting
- Large oil reservoir with view window
- Cut large size logs up to 12-18″” in diameter depending on softness
- Ergonomic rubberized grip of the handle reduces vibration during use
- The Makita is heavier than some other models
- The oil leaks if not capped correctly
5) Black & Decker LCS1240This Black & Decker LCS1240 is a battery-operated entry and is one of the top rated electric chainsaw with batteries. It uses a Lithium-Ion battery and has a 12-inch guide bar.
Never Look For Tensioning Tools Again….
The Black & Decker LCS1240 is one of the best electric chainsaws for cutting logs which features tools-free chain tensioning which keeps the chain in the proper place for any cutting job. There’s also a self-lubricating feature so you don’t need to stop and manually add oil.
Lighweight Design= Less Strain On Arms….
The lightweight design makes this an easy power tool to use for a long afternoon of trimming or pruning. Add to this a wrap around handle and you will be able to cut away at different angles with ease.
Includes Battery and Charger…
The package comes complete with the chainsaw, a RC100 chain, a 40v MAX Li-ion battery and a battery charger. Based on Black and Decker electric chainsaw reviews, this chainsaw is perfect for light duty jobs in and around the yard.
- Includes 40V MAX Lithium Ion battery
- 12″ Oregon bar and chain
- Equipped with automatic oiling system
- Cuts 60 4×4 pine lumber on average single charge
- Cordless for convenience and maneuverability
- Tool-free blade tension system
- Black and Decker electric chainsaw reviews from users suggests the battery runs down faster than expected
- Extra battery is very expensive
- Some users are not impressed by its cutting power
6) GreenWorks 20312 G-MAXThe manufacturer calls this a GreenWorks 20312 G-MAX cordless chainsaw, which means it is in fact a battery-powered model. It has a 16-inch guide bar and is rated at 40V which gives it a ton of power.
Brushless Technology= Quieter Performance and Longer Life…
Brushless technology in the power source results in longer life, a quieter and more efficient tool. The heavy duty Oregon bar and chain feature a chain pitch of .0375, a chain brake, bucking spikes made of metal and an automatic oiler to keep the chain and bar lubricated.
100 Cuts On A Single Charge…
The Li-ion battery provides enough time to cut most everything you need to in your yard with a single charge. Based from various cordless electric chainsaw reviews, this chainsaw is also lightweight, which is hard to believe with all these extras.
GreenWorks is another manufacturer who makes the best chainsaws for the DIYer, has a workhorse chainsaw here that will get more than the job done…it could get the neighbors job done as well!
- G-MAX 40V lithium battery
- Up to 100 cuts on a single charge
- 70% less noise and vibration with a brushless motor
- Light weight and easy to use compared to gas chainsaw
- 16″ bar and chain
- Includes 4AH battery and charger
- Some users complain of leaking oil
- Battery do not last long as advertised according to cordless electric chainsaw reviews
- Others find the chain constantly coming of
What To Look For When Buying An Electric ChainsawThere are four key factors to focus on when shopping for electric saws for cutting trees to add to your tool kit. They include the length of the guide bar, the power type of the engine, safety features and your personal fitness and strength.
1) Guide Bar
The guide bar length is the measurement from where the chain enters the housing of the chainsaw to the tip of the chain at the end of the guide bar. The length generally indicates the maximum width of a single cutting pass and for safe cutting, the bar length should be at least 2-inches longer than what you are cutting.
For the most powerful electric chainsaws, expect guide bars to measure between 14-inches and 20-inches.nsaw.
2) Engine Power Type
Engines are sized by the use of cubic centimeters (CCs) or cubic inches (cu. in.) with the higher the number meaning the engine is more powerful. The downside to a more powerful engine is additional weight, so keep this in mind when looking at these figures. Electric chainsaws are different in that their power is identified as voltage or volts (V). So, with a higher voltage, the more powerful the electric chainsaw.
There are also battery powered chainsaws. They are smaller, quieter and have less power than all other chainsaws. Battery types used are usually lithium-ion (Li-ion) with older models using nickel-cadmium (NiCad). The latter takes longer to charge.
3) Safety Features
The most logical safety feature to look for when shopping for a chainsaw is a model that has an anti-kickback chain. More on kickback in a moment. Otherwise, you will need to stock up on additional safety gear before you fire up your brand new, best small chainsaw on the market for the first time.
You should have gloves, safety glasses or goggles, head and hearing protection, safety boots that are cut resistant and safety pants or chaps. Even though electric and battery-powered chainsaws are less powerful than gas-powered, you still need to protect yourself from injury.
4) Your Personal Fitness/Strength
Your hands, arms, legs and everything in-between will come into play when you are operating a chainsaw. Even one as small as 12-pounds will eventually start to feel heavy as your muscles tire from using it over a period of time. Everyone tires when using a power tool but where it gets very tricky with a chainsaw is that these are dangerous power tools.
You will need to be able to properly handle and balance one during the duration of your cutting chore. If you need to take frequent breaks, do so. Nothing is so important to cut or trim if an injury may result from a hand cramp or some other sign of fatigue.
What Is KickBack?
Kickback occurs in one of two ways. First, keep in mind that the chain moves around the guide bar so if the tip of the bar comes in contact with an object, the saw is ‘kicked’ away from it. Kickback can also take place if the item you are cutting pinches down on the guide bar. This kind of contact can result in a fast reversal of the chain kicking the bar out and towards you.
There are ways to reduce kickback from happening and they include avoiding contact with the tip of the guide bar and any object, cutting only one piece of wood at a time and maintaining full power when cutting
Handle Location On Chainsaws
One more thing. There are two different styles of chainsaws related to the location of the handle. They are known by the descriptive names of rear handle or top handle.
A rear handle chainsaw has a handle attached to the rear of the unit. This is the most common style and will be very likely the type of chainsaw you would use for most of your cutting chores. A rear handle style is designed specifically for any kind of cutting performed on the ground.
A top handle style is designed for cutting in trees or some other elevated platform. These are also called in-tree chainsaws and are a specialized product not typically used by a homeowner.
Final Thoughts About Electric Chainsaws
Because chainsaws are some of the most dangerous power tools in the world, you really need to determine whether or not you actually need one. We strongly advise you don’t buy the cheapest electric chainsaws for sale, in the long run they don’t offer value for money or the necessary safety featuresIf you require tree branches cut on a regular basis and something a bit stronger than a handsaw for pruning, an electric saw for cutting trees may be a handy addition to your tool shed. This is especially true if you are the type of person who cuts firewood or has a lot of trees to control on your property.
Battery-powered chainsaws are great for extremely light duty cutting chores. Electric chainsaws provide extra power in comparison and are best suited for bigger cutting jobs. Gas-powered chainsaws are the most powerful and are designed for frequent use. Once you are able to identify the kind of user you would be, you will know what kind of chainsaw to look for.
There are several different kinds of safety features built into most powerful small electric chainsaws on the market. You will still be safest to wear proper safety clothing and gear when operating these power tools. This will add to your original investment but is worth every penny spent if it means the safety gear can prevent some kind of personal injury.
Once you have determined the type of cutting you would need a chainsaw for and the type of chainsaw best suited for that work (battery, electric or gas-powered) you will be faced with different size tools. The sizing is based on the length of the guide bar and chain. If you are cutting small limbs or large branches, the best fit for any cutting job is a bar that measures at least two inches longer than the width of the object being cut.
Comfort, ease of operation, low maintenance and length of warranty are essentially your final deciding factors when choosing the best electric chainsaw for the money. It really isn’t hard to shop for the most powerful small electric chainsaws on the market when you know all there is to know about them. This website is designed to guide you through these decisions by providing you with the facts you need to as informed consumers.
We are glad you have found us and we hope to be able to answer all your questions about the best corded electric chainsaws currently available. What can we help you with today?